Friday, November 6, 2009

Sweet and Sour Meatballs


Ingredients: 
(meatballs)

1 Tbsp beaten egg
1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground ginger
Dash of pepper
1 lb lean ground beef

Ingredients:
(sweet and sour sauce)

1 can (16oz) pineapple chunks, undrained
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 cup sliced fresh carrot
1 medium green pepper, julienned
3 tsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp cold water
Hot cooked rice

In a medium bowl, combine the first 5 ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. In a large skillet, cook meatballs over medium heat until browned on all sides and meat thermometer reads 160 degrees; drain.

Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. Add water to juice to measure 1 cup. Stir in the brown sugar, vinegar and soy sauce; pour over meatballs. Add carrot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until carrot is crisp-tender. Stir in green pepper and pineapple; cover and simmer 5 minutes longer or until pepper is crisp-tender.

Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into the meatball mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve over rice.

4 servings

*Note to self (or any other readers of this blog): I normally use frozen meatballs from Ikea because it's so much faster and it makes this a really quick meal to throw together - I just heat the meatballs in the skillet while I'm chopping vegetables. However, the last time I made it I didn't have enough. I did have ground beef, so I tried the meatball recipe included here. It's ok, but I've had better.  I'll have to do some checking and see if I can find a better one.

*I found this recipe in Taste of Home's Cooking for 2. If you're looking for a great recipe magazine try this one; I really like it - we've found so many good ones from it and I just double the recipe for our family.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

This one looks good and I just happen to have a huge bag of meatballs on hand!

Amber Meadows said...

Perfect - it's so quick when you already have the meatballs on hand, you'll be surprised. Beckie liked it too :)

Debbie said...

This was really good! And it was so fast to put together. I will definitely be making this again!