Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Pumpkin Pancakes with Hot Cider Syrup

Eating a stack of pumpkin pancakes at IHOP last Saturday inspired me to try making my own at home. I also had a little nudging from my 5 year old - he's been bugging me to make some almost nonstop.

After a quick search on tasteofhome.com, I found this recipe that looked promising. I just have to say, Look out IHOP - my pumpkin pancakes are better! The kids went back for seconds and then thirds; I couldn't ask for anything more than that. :)

Ingredients:

Hot Cider Syrup

3/4 cup apple cider or juice
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg


Pancakes

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 eggs, separated
1 cup milk
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
2 Tbsp canola oil

Directions:

In a large saucepan, combine the syrup ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until slightly thickened. Let stand for 30 minutes before serving.

For pancakes, in a large bowl,combine the dry ingredients In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks, milk, pumpkin and oil until smooth. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. In a small bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form; fold into batter.

Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot griddle (I didn't grease mine). Turn when bubbles form on top of pancakes. Cook until second side is golden brown. Serve with syrup.

I added a scoop of whip cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon to my pancakes. Delish! This is now officially a family favorite!

Syrup makes approximately 1 cup. Batter makes 15 pancakes.

*The syrup never did thicken for me, but it was so good I didn't really care :)


No comments: