Sunday, January 30, 2011

Bacon-Almond Green Beans

Here's another fantastic recipe from Taste of Home. I was looking for some way to dress up my veggies for dinner, so I hopped online and started browsing. One look at the ingredient list for this dish and I knew it would be yummy! It was a big hit - in fact, Chris told me that from now on this is how he wants his green beans to be prepared. We'll see about that...


Ingredients:


1-1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2-1/4 teaspoons soy sauce
2-1/4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
4 to 5 tablespoons real bacon bits
4 to 5 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted (I substituted walnuts)

Directions:

Place beans in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil; cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender

Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the brown sugar, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Cook for 1 minute or until sugar is dissolved

Drain beans; add to the skillet. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with bacon and almonds; toss to coat. Serve with a slotted spoon.

Yield: 6 servings

*I was positive that I had sliced almonds in the cupboard, but when I pulled out the ingredients for this dish there weren't any to be found! Luckily, I had some walnuts so I used those instead. Awesome! I think either way would be delicious.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

This one looks good! Canned green beans are kind of boring to me but I bet this would spruce them up a bit and I bet it would be fantastic with fresh garden ones.

Amber said...

yes - the fresh green beans make such a difference!