Saturday, January 22, 2011

Veggie Noodle Side Dish

Ramen noodles. Does the mere mention of it make you shudder? It reminds me of my early days in the kitchen, cooking lunch for my siblings. Back then though, it was just the noodles and broth. I think we've all had enough of that particular dish to last a lifetime.


I thought it was time to step it up a bit, which is why I was willing to try this recipe after finding it in Taste of Home. Have I mentioned that it's a favorite magazine of mine?

Anyway, I could tell my hubby was apprehensive and in the end I enjoyed it more than he did, but I think that was due to the fact that this dish includes zucchini and squash - two things he dislikes. Maybe if I used brussel sprouts instead... I know - I can't believe he likes them either. But to each his own!

Ingredients:

  • 1 small sweet red pepper, julienned (I actually used frozen roasted peppers - yummy!)
  • 3/4 cup cut fresh green beans
  • 3/4 cup thinly sliced fresh carrots
  • 1/4 cup chopped red onion (I'll be honest - I left that part out)
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1 package (3 ounces) ramen noodles
  • 1 yellow summer squash, sliced
  • 1 medium zucchini, sliced
  • 1/4 cup chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon fajita seasoning mix
Directions:

In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry the pepper, green beans, carrots and onion in oil for 4 minutes. Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions (discard seasoning packet or save for another use).

Add the remaining ingredients to the vegetable mixture; cook and stir until vegetables are crisp-tender. Drain noodles; add to vegetables and toss to coat.


Serves 4

No comments: