Friday, March 12, 2010

Cheesy Potato and Broccoli Soup

I got this recipe from a friend at work probably 4 or 5 years ago. It's one of my favorite soups to make - so much in fact, that I have to be careful how much I make it. My poor husband asked me to stop making it for awhile because I was making it so often - oops! I never get tired of food - what's his deal? :)

I've changed the original recipe; the major change being that I added broccoli. You can make it with or without the broccoli. My 5 year old prefers it without. The other day he asked what was for dinner and when I told him I was making this soup he said, "Sounds good. But I don't need the broccoli. You and Dad can have broccoli though." Hmm...didn't expect that response. Although, I can't really blame him. I hated broccoli as a kid :)



Ingredients

3 cups water
3 chicken bouillon cubes
5 cups diced potatotes
1/2 medium onion chopped
1 t. salt
3/4 t. pepper
8 0z broccoli (I prefer to use fresh, but frozen will work)
1/2 cup margarine
3/4 cup flour
1 quart fat-free half and half
16 oz light Cheese Whiz

Directions

In a large pot, dissolve the bouillon in water. Add potates, onion, salt and pepper. Cook on medium heat until potatoes are mostly done, then add broccoli. (Be careful not to stir too much while cooking or the broccoli will break up and become mushy.) In a saucepan, melt margarine, then remove from heat and add flour a little at a time until a thick, smooth paste is formed. Stir in the half and half a little at a time; heat through. While that (the white sauce) is heating, add the Cheese Whiz to the potato and broccoli mixture - but allow it to melt before stirring. After stirring in the cheese, add the white sauce to the soup and stir carefully until mixed.

My favorite way to serve this is in bread bowls, but sometimes those can be hard to find. Either way, it's delicious!

8-10 servings

*This makes a ton of soup, but it freezes well so you can always save some for next week :)

4 comments:

Willefam said...

Been waiting for a cold day to try this and todays the day!! I'll let you know what I think!! (I love cheese and broccoli so I am pretty sure it will be great!!! ) Way cute blog by the way!!! You are just so together!!

Amber said...

Delina - you're so sweet! If you could see my messy house right now you might change your mind though, ha ha! Hope you like the soup!

Willefam said...

WE loved it!! I didn't think Nathan would eat much of it but he had TWO helpings!!!! It was so yummy! Michael, who isn't a fan of most soups, also really liked it!! Thanks!!! 5 out of 5 most definatly!!

Amber said...

Yay!! I'm so glad :)