Sunday, March 14, 2010

Salisbury Steak

I'm a sucker for comfort food - most especially meat and potatoes! I throw some vegetables on the side to ease the guilt and then sit back and enjoy my piece of heaven on earth. Mmmmm....


Ingredients

2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 t. minced garlic
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 lb lean ground beef
1-2 cans Campbell's Mushroom gravy or 1 packet McCormick Mushroom gravy mix
Fresh sliced Mushrooms (optional)

Directions

In a small bowl, combine the Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 4 patties. In a non-stick skillet brown patties on each side, then drain the grease. Add the gravy and mushrooms to the patties, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until mushrooms are done.

4 servings


*If I'm feeling especially guilty about the yumminess I'm about to consume, I transfer the patties to a clean pan before adding the gravy. It cuts out at little more of the grease right?

*If you're using the powdered gravy, mix it with the water before adding it to the pan. Surprisingly, we prefer the canned gravy, but it just depends on what I have on hand and what was on sale at the time :) If I want extra gravy for the potatoes then I use two cans.

I'm sure that a true Salisbury Steak actually uses brown gravy instead of mushroom gravy, but the truth is, Chris and I are die hard fans of mushrooms. I add them to everything - hence the change from the original recipe!

2 comments:

Willefam said...

Yummy Yummy Yummy!! It was so moist and I just loved it!! Thanks so much for all the good recipes Amber!! You make my life easier!:) Hope everything is going good for you guys!!!

Amber said...

syay! I'm so glad you liked it! Life is awesome - we love DC :)