Thursday, March 18, 2010

Chicken Packets

This is a fabulous recipe for Summer - or even Spring, when you're hoping for Summer to come :) It's super simple and smells great while it's cooking. Plus - it's healthy!

You can use any combination of vegetables that you like. Chris and I like different things, so we each make a packet for ourselves and we throw enough in there so that we'll have leftovers for the next day!

Here is a list of the veggies that Chris puts in his:

Red Potatoes
Baby Carrots
Broccoli
Mushrooms
Green Pepper
Onion

Here's what I use:

Red Potatoes
Baby Carrots
Broccoli
Yellow Squash
Zucchini
Cherry or Grape tomatoes
Mushrooms
and sometimes pineapple chunks

I steam the potatoes, carrots, broccoli, squash and zucchini beforehand and then assemble the packets. I usually put the potatoes and carrots in first, followed by the broccoli and squash. After I've added my veggies I add a bit of salt and pepper. Use a good long piece of tinfoil so that you can pack it full of veggies and still close it :)


Here's what it looks like once you've layered all the veggies on the foil:












Next, you're ready to add the chicken. This time I used Chicken Tenders, but Chicken Breasts work great too. Salt and pepper the chicken as well.


Next I add Worchestershire sauce and then drizzle honey over the top. I haven't measured; I just keep adding until I think it's enough.


To roll the foil, I've found it's easiest to bring the two long ends together, roll those down and then roll up the short sides. I place mine on a cookie sheet to keep any juices from spilling into the oven.


After that you're ready to place it under the broiler. If you'd rather not heat up the house, you can also throw it on the grill. Either way works well. I place my rack just under the broiler and set it on high. Cook it on high for 30 minutes. Do you like the toys in the background? This is how I cook - crazy kids!


Generally, I clean up my dishes as I go along - it's a little trick my mom taught me. That way you aren't left with a messy kitchen after dinner ;) If I do have dishes left, I clean those up and then sit back to relax until dinner's ready!

And...Voila! Here are your finished Chicken Packets. I made mine with extra this time and it was enough to feed me and my two little boys, plus leftovers. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Katelyn said...

That looks so yummy! I'm definitely going to try this!

Amber Meadows said...

yay! I hope you like it - I know we do ;)