Friday, March 19, 2010

Sweet Pork

Something I really miss about Utah is take out from Costa Vida. Their Sweet Pork is to die for! I'll take it any way I can get it - nachos, tacos, burritos, quesadillas, it doesn't matter. They're all good! I once tried the Sweet Pork recipe with Coke and brown sugar, but I have to be honest - it wasn't good at all. Then, I found this recipe in my Mom's ward cookbook. Soooo yummy! I'm not claiming it's the same as Costa Vida, but it'll do. My favorite is to make nachos with it. I crave it - a lot. So I have to restrain myself from making it too often, because otherwise I'd pack on the pounds faster than you can say, "I love Sweet Pork!"














I wish I had a better picture for you, but this picture is from the first time I made the recipe and when I came up with the idea to make nachos I realized that I couldn't just put a plate in the toaster oven - it would have exploded. Not that I know from personal experience...

So, I rifled through the cupboards and found this leftover tin from Christmas. It was used for making a Rice Krispie gingerbread house and it was just what I needed :) I threw in some tortilla chips, black beans, cilantro lime rice, sweet pork then topped it off with an an insane amount of cheese. And I enjoyed every bite!

Ingredients

1 pork tenderloin (I think I generally use a 2 lb tenderloin)
1 packet taco seasoning
1 can green enchilada sauce
1 can red enchilada sauce
2 c. brown sugar
2 cloves garlic
4 limes

Directions

Place pork in the crock pot (I always use a liner - it keeps clean-up to a minimum and I swear my meals cook better). Microwave limes for 10 seconds, cut into wedges, and squeeze on top of meat. Sprinkle with taco seasoning. Cook on high for 3 hours.

Crush garlic cloves and spread on meat. Pour in both cans of enchilada sauce and sprinkle in brown sugar. Cook on high an additional 4 hours or until meat starts to fall apart.

Remove meat and shred on a cutting board using two forks. Place shredded meat back in the crock pot and simmer 15 minutes, or until ready to serve.


No comments: